We got Emmie a desk for her room after much searching, only to find out that the desk we had settled on for Isaac's room wasn't going to be an option since it was a mini-desk (it was a Restoration Hardware desk, and it turns out that it is too short for a big boy) so we went back to hunting for a desk for him. (which I was not happy about since I LOVED the Restoration Hardware desk.) Anyway I found one on craigslist for $55 which was an amazing price difference, but I have to paint this one and change some things, which is sort of difficult, because right now time is not something I have a lot of. (We have a little over a month before we put our house on the market, and 3 months before we will be in Korea......)
I have had killer allergies all week, I feel in a fog, and can't remember half my words. I did manage to paint 2 dressers and the second gray sideboard this weekend, I had pictures of everything in process, but then discovered that none of them had recorded onto the camera! Ah well, I can show finished products anyway.
So after all the work I have done (moving Isaac's new dresser upstairs last night at 10:00 pm?) I decided to share something I took pictures of FOREVER ago, and never shared (total theme of my blog?) I had Emmie's bed at a fabric design class critique last year, and I was determined I was going to take artsy pictures of the quilt before sharing it here, but I have since decided that sharing is better than nothing, so instead you get to see the pictures I took of her bed in the critique room rather then some place scenic.
You won't remember it since it was forever ago, so I will post a link here of Emmie's bed before post, so you can see what I started with.
And then here is her bed now,
I am absolutely in love with this bed, it is so her, and looks great in her room! I spray painted the bed green, sanded it back a bit, and then rubbed walnut stain over the whole thing before clear coating it all.
Next up for the class assignment was the quilt, I was supposed to make something with printed fabric that took more then one of the processed we had learned over the semester, and this quilt actually took LOTS of steps.
I was inspired by the Sugar Pop N Change Quilt at Moda Bake Shop, although I used my own dimensions etc. when it came to actually sewing it together.
Next I split the yards into 4 and then smeared thickened dye in bright colors over each of the fat quarters. after leaving for 24 hours, I washed and dried each of the fat quarters. Next I screen printed with while pigment on each of the fat quarters, with screens I made from some hand drawn images.
Each square in the quilt has 2 of each piece of fabric. I used my sewing machine to quilt this piece, with yellow thread in a free motion style.
Anyway, so here is Emmie's bed, I have to run to class now, so sorry about any mistakes/typos, I'll fix them when I get back from class!
Linked up at,